Monday, February 11, 2008

Movie Time


Scenario for a Short Film

Storm clouds part
As skiffs and scows
Ply their trade
Dotting this northern port

Messengers, sailing
Shore to shore
Through veils of mist
Sometimes appear

A piano is moved
To a house on the hill
And played by four hands
Who know it well

Chords of harmony float
To weathered docks below
Where old men tend the ships
That carry their hearts

Sweet berries ripen
In the brambled thickets
Of the hidden
And sheltered coves

While some wait there
And understand
The things that drift in
From open waters beyond

Nightfall reveals
Sistine constellation
Of outstretched fingers
Almost touching and

Those who watch the sky
Shake their heads, for
This is not the season
For these stars

- Ralph Murre 2005

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I find the last stanza the most meaningful for me.

Sara, from Poets Who Blog

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, really just beautiful.

LAST MAN OUT said...

Very inspiring. I especially like this one, I truly felt like I was in the film, Very good to read your poetry, Grandpa lent me his copy of Psalms. I'm looking forward to reading it this weekend, Josh, Green Bay.