Sunday, January 21, 2007

At the Salon




















I was honored to read some of my stuff last night, in the company of some very good poets from the area. We shared humor, pathos, and some real comaraderie with a large group of visual artists gathered for the annual salon at the Peninsula Arts School.

It occurred to me that among the many traits shared by poets and the other artists, is the sense of that need for us always to work toward that horizon which poses the question, "What is poetry?", or "What is art?" Our work, it seems to me, when it does not break new ground, no matter how well we replant and cultivate the old fields, cannot be called art; cannot be called poetry.

In light of that argument, I am still very uncomfortable thinking of myself as POET, but on good days, I strive for that far horizon.

- Ralph Murre

1 comment:

S.L. Corsua said...

I am still very uncomfortable thinking of myself as POET...

This speaks to me. Frankly, I feel the same way (though, oddly enough, for different reasons). ^_^ On another note, glad to hear you've had fun at the poetry reading. Here's to the flourishing of creative endeavors. Cheers.